Sunday, June 29, 2008

Mtwapa Conference

I haven't taken a shower since Friday. Why not, you ask? Because here in Mombasa, we have to buy water from a guy with plastic jugs and a cart, and I haven't had time to even walk downstairs to find the guy and ask him to come!

The second women's conference was this weekend, and it went very well. The ladies exceeded our expectations in many ways. First, in sheer numbers! There were about 75 women in attendance. Second, in punctuality. Kenyans are not very good at keeping time, but these ladies were there before we were! Third, in perseverance. Some women came from 60 kilometers away to attend the conference, and other women who lived nearby opened their homes to them. We heard from a few women that their non-Christian husbands don't approve of them going to conferences, so some of them snuck out to be there! (I can't endorse the behavior, but I still admire the determination...) And the ladies were all there every day!

Teaching was fun, but I'm glad it's over, and I'm in much need of some rest. This week will be mainly a time for rest and recuperation. A lot of things have taken a backseat to these conferences this month, so I will try to return to my normal habits and disciplines. First on my list: get some water and take a shower!

Some of the women who attended the Mtwapa conference!

No comments: